Saturday

Flourless Chocolate Cake



I've rescued the pictures of the Flourless Chocolate Cake I mentioned previously! Who knew my laptop had an SD card reader? Apparently, my boyfriend did. 


This cake is ridiculously decadent, ridiculously easy, and ridiculously impressive looking. I mean, I was barely paying attention while I made it and still didn't manage to screw it up. The excessive amount of cocoa powder seems to give it an almost with-flour texture but it is still rich like a flourless chocolate cake. So good. Because it has so few ingredients, I highly recommend buying a really top-quality chocolate because it really is the star of the show. I used a mix of bittersweet and semi-sweet (because I am indecisive).



I adapted the recipe for a 9" springform pan but susbequentally had way more cake than necessary and I think it had a little trouble holding it's shape (it didn't help that I opened the springform before running a knife along the edges. Don't do this. It causes a mini cake earthquake. If you do do this, I recommend icing sugar. No one was the wiser).


This is just a picture of how messy my kitchen gets while baking. Seriously, I am not an organized baker. So if I can bake this cake in a kitchen looking like that and still end up succesful, you will have no problem whatsoever.

from Epicurious.com, this is the orginal version for an 8" pan.

4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus additional for sprinkling

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love flourless chocolate cake! Firstly because it's naturally gluten free and secondly, and most importqantly, it's a big bang wham of chocolate, sheer delightful chocolate. :) Hand me a slice with icecream on the side!

Bitter Endive said...

Yeah, I rmember my mum used to serve this with raspberry gelato and it was amazing. I'll definitely be making this again.