Wednesday

Dublin

We were only in Dublin for four days but still managed to get a real feel for the city. It is a lot like Toronto in atmosphere. The people are all friendly but low-key and comfortable. Simon and I both felt like we could easily live there. While I look Irish and have an Irish name, I am only Irish on my dad's side, and his family moved to Canada four generations ago. I don't know if I was expecting to feel some sort of connection to Ireland, and as much as I enjoyed it, certainly didn't feel as though I was coming home at last. Maybe that's the nice thing about growing up in Canada - where everyone is a (relatively) recent immigrant - you can travel anywhere and be free to allow yourself to feel a natural affinity for wherever you end up. Take my parents for example, one is Irish and the other is Danish and yet they both feel some inexplicable tie to Italy. I think my family (and probably many people's), having not grown up with a strong sense of cultural heritage, turn to food to experience culture. So, with that in mind, here is our tasting tour of Dublin.


Breakfast at the Elephant and Castle - Eggs 'n Apples Benedict with Maple Syrup on French Toast - less disgusting and lots more delicious than it sounds.


Braised Pork Belly with Chorizo & White Bean Cassoulet at Green 19. This place was amazing. The atmosphere was great, the cocktail list was impressive, and all of the mains were 10 euros.


Simon's Szechaun Lamb in Chili Broth also from Green 19.


















Their very creative drink list. I had the Mexican Green - Tequila, Maraschino Liquor, Pink Grapefruit Juice, Fresh Chili, & Bitters. It was delicious, spicy, and boozy. I can't remember what Simon had.

That's it for Dublin (I don't remember not taking any pictures!). There are lots from London though, so don't be disappointed!

No comments: