Thursday

Chocolate Sriracha Shortbread



It's been a crazy couple of weeks with engagements (eek!), business trips to New York (three words: momofuku pork buns!), and moving (pictures to come!). So it's been exciting and very stressful. When I'm stressed, I bake.


If you've read past posts, you've probably realized that I will find a way to incorporate Sriracha into almost everything I make. It's an illness, really. I've destroyed more than a couple of meals that way.


But, it's not a bad thing if the recipe is supposed to have chili, though right? Why, then I'm just reinterpreting a recipe. And there is nothing wrong with artistic reinterpretations. I just substituted chipotle chili powder with delicious, delicious Sriracha. (On a total side note, oh Gourmet Magazine, why did you have to leave me? Bon Appetit would never have the balls to mix chipotle and chocolate, but there you go mixing it up once again. Come back. Please.)


The recipe was easy, fun, and oh so delicious! Normally I would reduce the sugar in a recipe like this, but the Sriracha can take it, so I left it as is.

Important Note: If you go to the trouble of making shortbread from scratch a day early to allow the flavours to develop a little bit, I highly recommend not leaving them out where a rambunctious kitten (He's two feet long. He weighs more than Simon. He's not a kitten. Don't try telling him this, though) can topple the entire plate onto the floor, breaking every last piece. Just a tip.




Chocolate Chipotle Shortbread
from Epicurious.com


1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup superfine granulated sugar


Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, chile powder, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
Beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy. At low speed, mix in flour mixture until well blended. Divide dough in half and pat out into 2 (7-inch) rounds (1/4 inch thick). Arrange rounds 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Cut each round into 8 wedges (do not separate wedges). Prick all over with a fork.


Bake until dry to the touch, 16 to 18 minutes. Recut shortbread while hot, then cool on sheet (shortbread will crisp as it cools).

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Mmm, how could these possibly not be good? Although I love chipotle, I think it has been overdone in recent years, so switching it out for shiracha? Sheer genius I say!

The Sriracha Cookbook said...

This looks and sounds delicious!!

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

Oo, that sounds delicious!!!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls